Beginning in the Fall of 2016, I began teaching an adult Sunday School class, Principles of Intercessory Prayer (intercession).
I have begun uploading my notes from those classes to this blog.
If you decide to read or study using these notes, please take the time to read the many Bible passages that are mentioned. Topics covered in the study include:
- Definitions of intercession and prayer; not the same thing
- Why pray? Prayer is God’s idea, his command
- Authority of the believer in prayer
- Knowing and praying the will of God
- God’s faith needed to pray in faith
- Hindrances to answers: doubt, unbelief, sin
- Power of your words, before, during and after prayer
- Gifts and work of the Holy Spirit
- Intercessors of the Bible
- History of revival – Great Awakenings / Outpouring of the Holy Spirit
Over the last 40 plus years I have collected, read and studied many books on prayer and intercession. At some point I may try to list those as an addendum. Many of the thoughts, ideas and principles contained in my notes have been prayerfully assimilated over the years from quite a few of those authors. Thus they may seem familiar to you.
One book that I purchased in bulk and gave away to class members and others is “Authority in Prayer, Praying with Power and Purpose” by Dutch Sheets (published 2006). I highly recommend it to anyone serious about participating in intercessory prayer.